Wednesday, November 25, 2009

MTC - Week 2

Still going strong here at the MTC... despite the severe lack of sleep. One of our roommates, Hermana Erickson left for New Jersey today, so we were up late helping her pack and then had to get up early this morning to send her off. It's hard to say goodbye to people here because we become such great friends so quickly... but we're all excited for her to get to the field, and I now I'm really looking forward to my own departure date.

So apparently I was talking and singing in my sleep this week... IN SPANISH. Boo-ya. I don't remember dreaming in Spanish, but from what I've heard from language teachers and people who have learned a second language, this is a pretty good sign. It's definitely taking a lot of effort on my part though... I learned 56 new Spanish verbs on Sunday. At this rate, I'll probably speak better Spanish than English when I get home.

Hermana Taylor and I had a great experience in the TEC (Teaching Evaluation Center) this week. We can make appointments there during our free time to practice our teaching skills with MTC teachers posing as Church Investigators. We went with the goal of adapting to teach to the needs of our investigator so we can help the people we are teaching understand how the Restored Gospel will benefit their lives. We prayed to be led by the Spirit and the lesson was such a success! Our "investigator" was from Moldova, and didn't really understand God, or see a need for prayer. We were able to share examples, scriptures, and testimony to help her understand that God is her Loving Heavenly Father and he hears and answers our prayers. We saw the feedback from that and another TEC appointment, and basically the teachers said that Hermana Taylor and I will single-handedly destroy the forces of evil.

I really do have a testimony that God hears our prayers, and DOES answer them, even if it's not always the answer we are looking for. I have received distinct answers to my personal prayers that I know have changed my life for the better.

I have been thinking a lot this week about Mosiah 2:41. Basically it says that the Lord will bless us spiritually AND temporally for our obedience. I can see the blessings in my own life that have come from my obedience to the commandments of God. I know that when we are choosing the right and standing in holy places, things will ALWAYS work out. I believe that happiness is just another commandment, and we can keep it (and therefore be happy) by following the other commandments.

Hope all is well in your families and homes.

Much love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

1 comment:

  1. Honey I know you don't know me but your mom is one of my dearest friends. She was a great support to me when I was serving on my mission. I'm so excited for you. The MTC is continuous spiritual high that everyone should experience. You look amazing and filled with the love of what of you are doing. I'm happy to be following you on your journey as it takes me back to mine and helps me to remember what a blessing it was to serve.

    ReplyDelete