Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Parable of the Giant Marshmallow (1/12)


The weeks are flying by! One year ago today I arrived in Arizona as a new missionary... even I can't believe how much I have changed since then... all good, of course :)

Monday night we had a Family Home Evening with Heidi, her two sons Tyler and Alec, and their next door neighbors. We watched the video of the Restoration to review, and for our activity roasted marshmallows in their fire pit in the back yard. The lesson/spiritual thought went well, but I can't lie, I was pretty excited to make s'mores, especially when I realized that we would be using GIANT marshmallows! At first appearance, the ginormous marshmallow appears better than a regular marshmallow in every way possible - fatter, squishier, sweeter, etc. However, after a careful attempt at roasting and creating the perfect s'more, I was pretty disappointed when I finally tasted it! Big let down... It was NOT any better and I would have been much happier with one regular, white, jet-puffed, perfectly-toasted mallow.

It seems that this happens many times in life... things aren't always what they appear. We see others around us who are more attractive, more talented, have nicer things and we want it.. all of it! Satan is also especially good at making things of the world appear more attractive to us. We need to recognize "things as they really are" (Jacob 4:13) and not take for granted the many gifts we have been given. Yesterday, as we were teaching an eight year old girl the 10 commandments, she wisely taught us that not coveting means being thankful for the things we have. And she is right, we are so blessed and need to be careful not to take for granted what we have been given on our quest for something bigger, better, or squishier.

With all of the blessings we have been receiving recently my heart has been so full of gratitude. I have been thinking about what it means to really BE grateful, and the power that can have in our lives. I have a quote from President Hinckley written in my scriptures: "When we fill our hearts with gratitude, there will be no room for unhappiness." But what I am learning is that when we fill our hearts with gratitude, there is also no room left for doubt, despair, fear, judgment, or unkindness. And as we express our gratitude to Heavenly Father through prayer, He is even more willing to bless our lives further.

I know that our Heavenly Father loves us, and because of that love He wants us to be obedient and worthy to receive the blessings He has in store for us. I know that as you make an effort to be more grateful, you will feel His love more abundantly in your life, and will recognize His hand working for your good. Remember to look for the good in what you have and always be thankful for the blessings you have been given... giant or small.

Much love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment