Friday, January 7, 2011

HIGHlights (12/29)




I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! It's so weird on your mission because we are not focused at all on the "normal" Christmas-time things. Sure, we've been listening to Christmas music since Halloween, and we have had a tree up since Thanksgiving, but even with all the talking about Christ it never really felt traditional. Actually, what was really interesting to me was the fact that the only time I thought to myself, "yeah, THIS feels like Christmas" was when we were stressing out Christmas Eve trying to get every one's presents ready for them. Interesting... it was the feeling of stress that made the holiday seem "normal". I guess that's what I've come to associate this season with (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that). Makes me want to do some things differently next year, especially because I'll be back in the real world.

Thank you to those who sent cards and gifts. I appreciate your love. The best gift I received, however, was also Christmas Eve, when we went to visit Bernice, our investigator that is getting baptized on Saturday. Hermana Norton and I had bought her a nice set of scriptures and had her name engraved on them, and went over to give her the gift. She was so touched by our act of love, and shared her testimony of the things she has learned and come to find are true over the past couple months. She appreciated the scriptures, but was more grateful for the gifts we have given her by sharing the message of the restored gospel with her.

Bernice has the sweetest spirit and incredible faith. I am grateful to know that her testimony was recorded by angels, because I want to hear the words she said again, and would love for all of you to be strengthened by them as well. There really is no joy greater than inviting someone to come unto Christ! The love and happiness I feel when someone accepts that gift is indescribable. This evening was one of the spiritual highlights of my mission.

Change of tone: yesterday, I enjoyed one of the non-spiritual highlights of my mission! We were walking through a neighborhood and saw a guy working on some bikes. Of course we talk to everyone, but I was DEFINITELY not going to pass up the opportunity to speak with this guy, because these were no ordinary bikes (see picture!) They are called high bikes, and most of them (he has 15!) consisted of frames from two or more bikes welded together to make different shapes and themes. He gladly explained how this hobby came about, and was happy to give us a demonstration of how to ride them. We waited outside while he went to go grab a business card (don't worry we traded it for a mormon.org card!) and while he was in I decided I wanted to try and ride one. I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and since I'm not on a foreign mission experiencing all kinds of weird things I have to take advantage of situations like this!

So, he held the bike for me while I got on and I rode up and down the street once. Turns out it's as easy as... riding a bike! We've been trying to bike more to save on miles and get some exercise, but this literally takes things to a whole new level!

Hope you all are having as much fun as I am! :) Best wishes for the New Year!

Love always,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment