Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pray Always (10/20)

The weeks keep going by faster and faster! This week has been a blur, and I don't really know what to even write about.

We got the Elders back! Their bikes looked fantastic, and I don't have my camera with me to upload a picture for proof, but know we were satisfied with the results. We wrapped pink ribbon all the way around the frames, covered their seats in pink fabric, stuck heart & flower stickers on their helmets, and placed a "Princess" tag on the front. Of course, when we got home that night all of that stuff was on our door instead of their bikes! :) Things in the prank department have ceased for the time being...

Last week when I was on exchanges in Eagar the sisters in Pinetop lost our cell phone, and we were almost an entire week without one. I don't know how missionary work was done without cell phones! Well, we managed, but it definitely made some things a little more challenging... and interesting.

As I thought about the frustration of not being able to communicate by phone (we don't have a landline either) with our members and investigators, I thought about the frustrations that come with not communicating with our Heavenly Father through prayer. Unlike the phone He will never be lost, although sometimes WE misplace Him in our lives. Then comes the frustration... we try to do things on our own, but are so inefficient and ineffective by ourselves. We are so blessed to have prayer as a tool in our lives (I'm realizing cell phones are a big blessing too!) so we need to USE IT!

Yesterday we ran into a 13 year old girl, MaryJane, that was sitting on a cooler in a trailer park crying. I sat down next to her and talked to her, and although she didn't want to tell us any of her problems it was clear that things were not going well for her. I talked to her about the fact that she is a daughter of a Father in Heaven that loves her, and Jesus Christ suffered for us so that he knows how to help us. I then taught her how to pray and she offered a simple, but sweet prayer. After our conversation and her prayer she was much more calm, and promised that she would continue to pray to Heavenly Father.

Prayer is something that MaryJane has never really been taught, but she was grateful to learn and I know as she continues to pray she will grow in her understanding of her Heavenly Father's love for her, and that He is there for her. I know He listens AND answers prayers. Prayer is a power tool, and we waste a lot of time not using it! Pray always. (Alma 37:37)

Have a great (prayerful) week!

Love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment