Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Don't Give Up! (11/4)

Where to start? I haven't written in two weeks, and SO much has happened in that amount of time! I guess I'll give you a quick run down of the highlights.

Transfers
Lame. I was really upset, and I don't feel like my work was finished in Show Low... 6 weeks is not long enough to be in an area! I LOVE the people there and am really going to miss, them, but there is a possibility I could end up back there before my mission is over. I am now in Gilbert - back in the valley, and I must admit this is the perfect time of year to return... went from 32 degree weather to 80s in less than 3 hours. My new companion is Hermana Johnson, and the best part is this is the area Hermana Wilkins just left so I get to follow in her footsteps. As I said, I wasn't thrilled with the change, but I'm excited to make the most of it!

Halloween Extravaganzas!
This week was FULL of Halloween adventures. It started on Wednesday with our zone Halloween party that I organized (right up my alley!) - most of the missionaries dressed up and we had some "gross" finger foods and played volleyball.
The people of Show Low voted for Saturday night to be the official night for trick-or-treating... we were going to go "tract-or-treating" but our mission president put us on lockdown for Saturday and Sunday night. Those of us who didn't have appointments went to the church for our lockdown party. We had an appointment Saturday night so we missed out on the Elders' capture the flag game, but Sunday we went to the stake center with our district and ended up forming a quartet singing group. We sang hymns for an our (cheesy, I know!) but we sounded awesome!
To wrap up our celebrations we had our branch Halloween/Dia de los muertos family home evening at the church on Monday night. Unfortunately it turned into more of party than an FHE, but we had fun! And we had investigators there who very much enjoyed themselves. Hermana Jones and I also dressed up for this one... well, as much as we could with missionary attire... I wore a metallic silver shirt and a purple wig, and she pretty much had all red on with a tall red Cat in the Hat style hat. I want to show you all pictures but this computer I'm at won't let me load my camera :/

Pranks
The Elders put a TARANTULA in our apartment! A living, breathing, out in the open tarantula! Ridiculous! We did not know how to retaliate without getting sent home, so things have mostly died down, although we formed an alliance with a member in one of their wards should something need to happen in the future. Unfortunately I won't be there, but I'm sure I'll still hear about it.

Missionary work
Oh yeah, that one thing I'm out here to do! I LOVE it, and even though it hasn't been my focus on the things I've shared with you I promise it is my focus EVERY single day. I love the people we work with, and we've had several awesome lessons recently - one with a man named Oliverio and another with Lourdes. I love being able to answer people's real questions and help them come closer to Christ. The spirit in these lessons is incredible.
Obviously being in a new area will mean a new teaching pool, but I'm excited to find those people that have been prepared for me and are ready to receive the gospel at this time.

This transfer has been amazing, and even though there have been PLENTY of hard times and struggles, I have learned SO much. As I look back over the past years its so interesting to see how much more I have learned in the times that are more trying... that's when I can see the biggest personal growth.

Hermana Jones and I gave talks in our branch on Sunday, and that's basically what mine was about. I think if I were to put a title on it it would be "Don't Give Up". I talked about how our reaction to our trials basically determines our destiny. The question isn't when we will receive trials, but how we will react to them when they come. I gave three examples of people's whose decisions have impacted our lives - Nephi, Joseph Smith, and most importantly the Savior. If these men had decided to give up we would not have the Book of Mormon, the restored gospel and the blessings it brings, including temples. And, most importantly if the Savior had given up after all his persecution, or even after Gethsemane we would not be able to enjoy the infinite effects of the atonement. It is that same atonement that empowers us to continue forward when times get tough.

I know that the Lord will bless us in our righteous desires, and that sometimes we have to go through the refiners fire. But, as Elder Hallstrom said "Never let and earthly circumstance disable you spiritually." I think this simple piece of advice is critical, especially when we put our lives and our trials in the eternal perspective. Don't give up!

Love & Hugs,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment