Wednesday, December 9, 2009

SNOW!


It has been snowing here for the past two days, and I love it! Everything is covered in a fresh, white blanket of snow and it's so beautiful! It does make me miss home a little though... so many memories trudging/driving through a snowstorm to get to class/work, etc. I have to enjoy it, because after January, I'm pretty sure I won't see a single snowflake for almost 2 years!

Our district is officially on week 5, and for everyone else, that's halfway through! ALREADY?! Turns out I have to be here one week longer than the rest of the district because of the transfer schedule in Tempe... I'm not sure my stomach can handle that (see post 1 about cafeteria food), but I think it will be good for my language skills... I'll probably end up with an advanced district, which is usually full of native speakers.

Hermana Taylor and I had a great experience in the TRC again this week. We had the opportunity to teach one of our teacher's friends, Stacey. Stacey is 19 years old and was diagnosed with leukemia in August. She is so beautiful and has such a glow to her, despite the trials she is going through; her strength was such a testimony to me. It was an amazing experience to share our testimonies of the Atonement, and how Christ has suffered every SINGLE thing we go through in this life, in order to succor us. I love the scripture in Alma 7:11-13 that talks about the Savior suffering our pains, afflictions, temptations, sicknesses, infirmities - I know that He did this to be able to run to us, and help us through our burdens. Because He has already experienced everything we suffer, He knows exactly how to relieve the weight from our shoulders. It is only through His Atonement that we can be made whole, and return to live with our Father in Heaven again. I loved being able to tell Stacey that I KNOW that Christ has overcome physical death in order that we can be perfected in Him. (Just like the white snow outside right now! "Though thy sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow" - Isaiah 1:18)

I really enjoyed the First Presidency Christmas Devotional this weekend. I hope you all had a chance to watch it! If not, it's available on the homepage of lds.org! The music was BEAUTIFUL and I loved hearing the testimony of the prophet. I would echo their words and invite you to not get too caught up in the commercial side of Christmas. I have it easy because I'm stuck in the MTC and can't leave even to go Christmas shopping! Those of you who know me may realize what this is doing to me! But honestly, that's one of the things that I love most about this place... there are no distractions of the world and I can focus on the things that matter most in this life: God, Charity, family, friends, etc... Make the most of this holiday season, and take the time to remember our Savior and His life.

Much love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment