Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ROOT CANAL


So my big event this week was leaving the MTC to get a root canal. It was an adventure... my companion and I haven't been in a vehicle for 5 weeks, nor have we seen outside of a 1 mile radius. Needless to say, it was quite an adventure.

Turns out I had a really "inflamed pulp" - or at least that's what the entodontist said. They took care of it, and I feel a hundred times better! My first drink of cold water afterwards was incredible - I had acclamated to the cold sensitivity, and I hadn't realized it was bothering me THAT much. Since I'm a missionary I'm going to turn this into a spiritual analogy for you all :)

Sometimes in life we are going along, doing our thing (making mistakes along the way) without realizing how off track we are. When we finally take the time to stop and analyze, we recognize just how much harm has been done along the way, and how really necessary repentance is. Repentance can be a painful process, but the end result is always worth it. Having our sins removed through the power of the Atonement can very literally feel like a pain being removed. And if I learned anything from my former perpetual toothache, it is to not procrastinate the day of repentance! (Alma 34:34)

I know I talked about repentance and the Atonment last week, and probably the week before, but I just keep seeing how REAL of a power it is as I watch people who have changed their lives.

In other news this week... the fire alarm in our residence hall went off at around midnight. Of course like good missionaries we were all in bed sleeping, so we had to roll out of bed, get shoes on and bundle up to head out into the cold (snowy!) weather. The unexpectedness of the situation combined with our tiredness led to some interesting reactions to the whole fiasco. One of the sisters in our room happens to be the coordinating sister, and she made sure we all had our nametags before we left the building! Way to be responsible. I took the time to remind them to bring their journals in case it was a real emergency (you wouldn't want to lose all those memories, right?!)... The really funny thing was I said this in Spanish, without even thinking about it! When we finally got back into our rooms about 30 minutes later, we were awake enough to laugh at everything that had just happened. My sisters are relieved to know that when my brain goes into "fight or flight" mode my native language is apparently Spanish!

I can't believe there are only 10 more days until Christmas. I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season, and not getting too stressed about it. Hermana Taylor and I have been studying in the main building (1M for those of you who have been through here) because there's a Christmas tree and music, and we enjoy this taste of the holiday ambience! Be grateful for everything that you have, and remember from whom it came. Happy Holidays!

Love,

Hermana Ouellette

NOTE FROM THE MOM (THE PERSON MAINTAINING THIS UPDATE!): I'M RUNNING OUT OF PICTURES OF RICHELLE (on the home computer) TO POST TO THE BLOG. HOWEVER, SHE SENT PICTURES HOME THIS WEEK, AND WE WILL SCAN THEM AND GET THEM POSTED SHORTLY. ONCE SHE IS IN ARIZONA, I'M HOPING SHE CAN SEND DIGITAL PICS! FOR THOSE OF YOU FOLLOWING THE BLOG, AND WRITING TO RICHELLE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT. I KNOW SHE IS TRULY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR CARING ACTIONS. IT HELPS KEEP HER MOTIVATED.

1 comment: