Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fun in the Sun (3/30)


Another fantastic week in Gilbert, Arizona! I wish you could understand how much I am loving my life right now and how grateful I am for the miracles we continue to see each and every day.

We rode our bikes again this week... usually because we have such a large area (40 sq. miles) we only do it when we are pressed for miles, but this week we were pressed for gas! Even though we said at least four times on Saturday we need to fill up our tank, we somehow ran out of time/forgot and didn't want to completely run out on Sunday. With church meetings and a fireside there's not much proselyting time on Sundays anyway, so it wasn't too bad. We ended up meeting and talking to some really great people on the street, and received several referrals (all for other missionaries, but I'm sure we will be rewarded for our work!)

It was Hermana Adams' first time on a bike in a skirt, which was fun... of course I ended up being the one with my skirt caught in the tire. There's just something about being a missionary on a bike... it makes me feel like a "real" missionary since most of the time we don't have the perils of walking/biking/public transportation.. or bad weather. So blessed! :)

We started teaching these amazing kids this week... Javier and Guillermo. Last Monday as we arrived to dinner, the member we were eating with told us she had good news. She said that the two teenagers that had been coming to church with her son want to get baptized before they return to Mexico in a month, and they already called that morning and asked for permission from their mom. We called their aunt (the member they are living with) and set up an appointment for later that evening. We have been teaching them every few days this week, and they are awesome! They are 12 and 15, and are doing this for the right reasons. I am so impressed with how quickly they learn, and how much they love reading the Book of Mormon. If only all youth were as excited as they are!

Yesterday I had one of the funniest experiences of my life yesterday as we started a lesson with them. We were sitting around the kitchen table and Javier was getting ready to say the opening prayer when all of a sudden his chair broke underneath him and he fell... there wasn't much commotion... was just sitting up like normal, and then all of a sudden he wasn't. We all started laughing hysterically... Javier acted like nothing had happened, picked up the chair and put it in the back yard and came back and sat in a different one. I had a hard time getting ahold of my laughter until we finally said the prayer... and then we had a great lesson. At the end, Guillermo prayed that he was grateful we had been able to come over and teach them, for the the things that they had learned, and that no one else's chair had broken. :)

General Conference is THIS weekend! I am so stinking excited! Something we had been doing with our active and less-active members is inviting them to think of a few personal questions they may have right now, write them down, and go to conference prayerfully looking for answers. I would encourage each of you to do the same. I have my questions ready to go, and am excited to see how the answers come through the words of the prophet and apostles, as well as the Spirit.

Have a fabulous week,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment