Thursday, September 30, 2010

Still in the White Mountains.... (9/29)

OK, so we've officially moved and settled into the new area. We actually live in the neighboring town of Lakeside and cover all of Pinetop-Lakeside, Show Low and the surrounding area... back to lots of traveling.

In an answer to one of my mom's questions, something some of you may be wondering as well... I am still in the White Mountains, which means I am enjoying wonderful fall-like weather. Although, the people say it starts snowing here around the end of October, so I'll probably even see some of that! Who knew in Arizona..!

Our home (the cabanita) is awesome! With all the stress of transferring to this area, it was more than wonderful to arrive at our new place, which turned out to be a cabin in the woods. It is this adorable little knotty pine cabin in the middle of nowhere... it is basically a vacation home. Even though we are rarely there to enjoy it, I love it! And I love the beautiful scenery of this area!

What makes this area not feel like vacation is all the work we are doing. I love it of course, because I would way rather be busy than bored, but without being too negative about the Elders that were here before, there is A LOT for us to do.

I definitely feel that we are supposed to be here. More than one person has mentioned that Hermanas are needed at this time (they haven't had them in over 10 years). I really feel that there are both non-members and members alike whose lives we are here to touch. There are some changes that need to be made, and work that needs to be done, and I am ready to do it.

If my own personal confirmation wasn't enough, I read an email from my mission president. I'll share part of it with you:

"I am sure that you realize that the decision to transfer you to Show Low was done before we went to Show Low. As Elder Scott and I talked on Sunday and we spoke of you and Sister Jones, I told him that I was moving you and that it would be a difficult change because of your recent success in the old area. He just smiled and said it would be good for all. I hope you know that I had that confirmed to me even before he said it but it was a nice thing to hear."

And yes, by Elder Scott he was referring to Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, whom we had a chance to meet a couple weeks ago. According to Sister Howes (our Mission President's wife) he was very impressed by Sister Jones & me. Wow. Can you say humbling?!

Being back in Spanish work is fun. I have definitely missed it. We've spoken more Spanish in this past week than I have for the entire past three months. I love it, and have definitely felt the gift of tongues, as I have not suffered too much with it coming back to me. Of course I have to smile at all the little cultural things that make the work just a little more difficult! :)

I REALLY enjoyed President Monson's talk this weekend from the Relief Society General Broadcast. For those of you who didn't see it, he spoke on charity, and I was so overwhelmed with the feeling that every SINGLE person is a beloved child of God. The broadcast was like a little teaser for the rest of General Conference, and I am so excited! I am also looking forward to several of our investigators having the opportunity to hear the words of our prophet and apostles.

I hope you all (members of the Church or not!) get a chance to watch at least part of it. I promise that if you do so with a prayer in your heart, and listen to the Spirit, you will find answers to your questions.

Hope all is well on the home front!

Love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

FYI, for those that don't know, the "talks" are on www.lds.org

No comments:

Post a Comment