Thursday, July 15, 2010

A little bit goes a long way....

I had a couple really interesting experience this week, and they were all very exciting. The first was when Hermana Wilkins called to let me know that a family we have been teaching will be getting baptized on July 24. We have been working with them for a while, and I am so happy that they have finally made the decision to be baptized. While we were on the phone Elder Crandall (from my old district) called her so she put me on hold to talk to him. The second exciting thing happened when she came back a few minutes later to tell met that Ron, a guy we had referred to the Elders is also getting baptized.

Hermana Wilkins and I met Ron after we weren't paying attention while we were driving and ended up in a different neighborhood than we had planned. We didn't have miles or time to go somewhere else so we went to talk to a referral that we had received for that area. Well, he wasn't home, but we saw that there were some people moving in across the street so we went over to go help them. When we asked if we could help they said they were fine because the only thing they had left was a big TV and they didn't think we were strong enough to carry it (we weren't). But, Hermana Wilkins saw some pillows in the back of the moving truck and we told them we could probably handle those. She climbed into the truck and had fun tossing them out to me to see how many I could catch. We lugged them upstairs into the house where they were supposed to go and when we saw that none of the couches were put together we decided to do that for them.

We did it as quickly as possible so they wouldn't notice we were taking so long, and then went back outside to talk to them. They went back in with the giant TV and I guess they saw the couches because when Ron came back out he was so impressed that we would do that he couldn't thank us enough. We brushed it off as nothing (it really wasn't) and after his friend left we talked to Ron for almost an hour... about everything - the importance of families, the gospel standards, YM/YW programs, the Restoration. He had so many good questions, as well as lots of good stories, so we really enjoyed ourselves. He has lived a pretty hard (thug) life, and has been trying to make changes in the past couple years, and "had found God" but still had some doubts about his church. One of the things he was concerned with is that he has been moving houses by himself (which has been stressful because he's preparing for his 5 daughters to move out here with him) and no one from his congregation was willing to make time to help him, and the ones who were wanted to be payed. I think that's why he was so impressed with our willingness to help and serve (we had offered to come back the next day and get the rest of his stuff unpacked for him). He said that every time he has seen missionaries around before he has successfully avoided him, but since he really needed help he accepted it and allowed us to serve him (I felt just like Ammon in the Book of Mormon!)

Anyway, what really touched Ron was our family values and programs, and when we came back the next day we gave him a copy of the Family Proclamation (this was during the time Hermana Wilkins and I were memorizing it). The most exciting thing about the news I got on Thursday is that not only is Ron getting baptized, but his daughters that have since moved her are as well! AND, he and his wife are trying to work things out so they can all be one family again. It is such a testimony to me that the gospel really does bless families, and is a power that provides unity and healing in a way no other thing can!

During the second lesson Hermana Wilkins and I were sad to turn him over to the English Elders (because we had been called to teach in Spanish, not English) because we both knew he had lots of potential, but we also knew that the most important thing is that he received the gospel, which he now has. I really believe that we were the right missionaries in the right place at the right time to find him, and I know the Lord put him in our path to help his family. It is very rewarding to know that out of all the thousands of "seeds I have planted" some of them are already blooming.

Another interesting experience happened this week when we were talking to a lady named Tomasa... we had talked to her at the 4th of July parade and were following up with her. While we were chatting she mentioned that she had a brother in Queen Creek and I asked her where exactly he lived since that's where I had been assigned before this new area. Before she answered my question she said that he had seen me at the parade and recognized me - he told her I had come to their house to talk. After she gave me his name and street it took me a minute to remember, but once she described his house I knew exactly who she was talking about. His name was Francisco, and we had tracted into his house looking for someone else but ended up having a good conversation with him. It is SO COOL to me that several months later and a couple hundred miles away he was still able to recognize me - not me for being me, but because I am a representative of Jesus Christ. I know that even though he wasn't interested he had to have noticed something different about me that made him remember me, and hopefully the next time he has some interaction with the Church the positive association will continue to build until he is ready to accept the gospel. Again, interesting to me to see where my seeds are landing.

I'm running out of time/space, but I also wanted to tell you about a baptism Sister Emrazian and I had this weekend for a lady named Trish. She was originally contacted on the street about 2 years ago and started taking the lessons, but wasn't ready or really interested at the time. The sisters that were here right before us were going through former investigators and decided to call her. She happened to check the voice mail for her old phone, and about a month later she decided to call them back and started meeting with them again. In the past two months she has come so far and made so many positive changes in her life, and is being blessed for it. She was baptized this weekend, and the spirit at the baptism was incredible. I am so impressed by her faith, and once again by how she was prepared to receive the gospel.

We never know who is prepared, or when they will be ready to receive the gospel, but I know that through every association people have with members of the Church or missionaries they are being prepared in their own way to one day accept the message we share. We have such a great responsibility to be an example to those around us. I promise they ARE watching, and they notice something different about us. If we truly live the gospel we believe by serving others and following the example of Jesus Christ, people will be put in our path that need our specific personalities and will be influenced by the way we live. A little example, and a strong testimony really go a long way...

Love ya,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

p.s. It's my birthday next week... Just letting you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment