Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pressing Forward (6/9)

So if you haven't heard me complain about it yet, here's a newsflash: Arizona is flippin hot!! Our bishop has a little phrase: Arizona tiene dos estaciones, invierno y infierno... which roughly (ok, exactly) translated means Arizona has two seasons, winter and hell. So true. It got up to 113 degrees this week, which, according to people on the street, is nothing. They're not walking around in it all day though! I do have to admit, that I still think the East coast and other places have it worse with the humidity, but hot is hot is hot!

This week wasn't quite as bad as last week, but still a little rough. We continue to press forward finding and talking to everyone. We read a really good talk this week about being a challenging and testifying missionary, and I have seen more purpose in what I do as a missionary as I try harder to testify of this gospel, and challenge everyone by inviting them to come unto Christ.

One thing that has really helped me this week is that I have been memorizing the Family Proclamation. I finished it and passed it off during my interview with my mission president yesterday. Every day for the past week I have written down a paragraph from the Proclamation onto a sticky note and placed it in my planner. As we were walking around all day, I would read it and memorize it until I had it down. Hermana Wilkins has been working on the same goal, so she was doing this with me.

As the words became more ingrained in my mind they began to have more and more meaning. Certain phrases that haven't really meant as much before really began to be significant and critical as I further understood the purpose of missionary work: to offer to families everywhere the blessings described in this document. There is another quote that I really like that defines a missionary: "Someone who leaves their family for a short time so that others may be with their families for eternity." Thinking about this idea all week has really helped me understand my purpose: WHY am I sacrificing everything to walk around all day in 105+ degree weather trying to talk to ANYONE that will listen??? It is because I love my Heavenly Father, and I know that He loves all of His children and wants to bless them with the same eternal blessings I enjoy. There are so many people in this world who do not even understand that they are a child of God, or the significance this knowledge could have in their life.

I also know that all of my trials are strengthening me to prepare me to one day raise my own family. Truly learning these principles of faith, diligence, patience and charity right now will only bless my life in the future. As I continue to push forward, just as if I were pushing against a wall, my muscles are being strengthened, and my faith is growing. I'm so grateful for this great work, and for Heavenly Father's love and patience with me (and all of us) as we learn to do His will.

Thank you ALL for all of your love and support,

Much love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment