Wednesday, February 3, 2010

In the Out Gate

My testimony in prayers has increased this week as I learn more about my companion... specifically her driving habits! The other day we were leaving our apartment and had just gotten our mail, so were trying to read our letters (Hermana Wilkins was reading as she was driving). We were both so excited, and didn't even realize that she had run a stop sign because she wasn't paying attention! Fortunately we live in the middle of nowhere, so no one was even around and it was just pretty hilarious. Our driving adventures continued on Monday night as we were driving to a potential investigator's home. We drove up to a gated community, and I (the official navigator) grabbed the map to see if there was another way we could go. When I looked back up we were driving through the "out" gate that someone had just exited through. Our motto for our companionship is "there is no time!" It definitely applied here... I think Hermana Wilkins said something like "People in gated communities need the gospel too!" but I'm not really sure because I was laughing so hard...

This week really has been an amazing testimony builder for me! On Monday morning instead of our regular district meeting we had a "Fireside" with a Church member named Blake Smith who has TONS of Joseph Smith memorabilia including Alvin Smith's desk, personal items of Joseph, Joseph and Hyrum Smith's death masks, and an original copy of the Book of Mormon, among lots of other artifacts. He presented the life of Joseph Smith, the prophet, with stories that I had never heard before. It was fascinating to hear bits and pieces about his life, the Restoration of the Gospel, and the foundation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The experience definitely strengthened my testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet, called of God in these latter days. Many of the people we talk to have a hard time believing in prophets, and I understand that it can be hard to believe that a normal man could have the power to commune with God, or that a fourteen year-old boy saw God the Father, and His Son Jesus Christ. However, I KNOW without a doubt in my mind that Joseph restored the keys of Priesthood authority, and through the power of God translated the Book of Mormon. Like Joseph's own testimony, I know it, and I know that God knows it, and I can not deny it.

Joseph was persecuted beyond belief for his faith - arrested 44 times, and beaten by mobs countless times until they finally killed him on June 27, 1844. Joseph Smith sealed his testimony with his blood, and more than just his life, he gave EVERYTHING to establish the Gospel in this dispensation. Joseph Smith, his family, among hundreds of other Saints left their homes, their loved ones and were severely persecuted for their beliefs. I can not even begin to understand what they endured, or compare myself to them, but I do know that they did it, because they KNEW that this gospel is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the most important and precious thing we have, and for every sacrifice we make we receive incredible blessings that we will continue to receive into the eternities. I am so grateful for everything that Joseph Smith gave to bring to light this truth, and even more so, for the sacrifice of my Saviour, Jesus Christ who established God's Church on this earth, and lived and died for each of us.

I love teaching this doctrine, and I am becoming more and more passionate about these truths as I see how they have blessed my life, and the lives of my family, friends, and investigators. We were teaching one woman this week, Maria, who is Catholic, and very content with her religion and she was listening to us mostly to be nice, it seemed. As we began explaining and testifying of the Book of Mormon, she got more interested and commented that she has read parts of the Book of Mormon and enjoys comparing it with the Bible. We told her since she likes to do this, she might be interested in reading 3 Nephi 11-17, where Jesus Christ comes to the Americas after His Resurrection and teaches the people there much of the same things He taught during His ministry in Jerusalem. Her face lit up, and she appeared to be excited about this information. Becuase it is exciting! How awesome is it that the Book of Mormon works hand in hand with the Bible providing ANOTHER witness of our Savior Jesus Christ! There are so many Christians in this world that already have a firm belief in Christ, which is great, but we have more prophecies, more testimony, more knowledge!! I know that the Gospel has been restored in its fullness and that the Book of Mormon testifies of this, and of our Savior. I challenge you to read it looking for these words of Christ, and I know that you will be blessed and feel of God's love as you come to an increased knowledge and testimony of Jesus Christ and improve your relationship with Him.

Love you all,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment