Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Forever Families

Big news... Hermana Wilkins and I are staying together! I was 100% sure that one of us would be leaving, but we found out Monday night that we're together for at least another 6 weeks, so we're pretty excited! Since we had been planning on being spit up we made sure to have extra fun this week and worked hard at creating some memories... this week was filled with Easter themed activities, including a Friday night "Easter Campout" with carne asada, and smores and an Easter egg hunt on Monday. Anyway, we definitely have more memories to make and more importantly much more to accomplish in the work, and we're excited to have the opportunity to do this together.

We're focusing a lot of our energy on two families that we have - the Hernandez family (wife is a member, husband not, 2 unbaptized children) and the Garcia family (Consuelo, Oswaldo and their 2 kids... I've talked about them before). I (we) have so much love for these families, and want them to be able to enjoy the fullness of the blessings that Heavenly Father has for them.

This gospel is designed to bless families - the family unit is central to God's plan of happiness. This was made even more clear to me this past weekend during General Conference. First of all - how awesome was conference!?!? (gc.lds.org for those of you who didn't get the chance to listen to any or all of the sessions.) I love love love hearing the words of our prophet, apostles, and other leaders. I know that they are inspired men that have been called of God to help us understand the Lord's will for each of us at this exact moment in time - April 2010. The recurring theme of families, and teaching our children was clear to me, and I know it was no coincidence.

Early in the first session, Sister Julie B. Beck said that there has NEVER been a greater need for strong families and homes, and it is so true! Strong families produce strong leaders (both civil and in the church), and more than anything strong families produce strong nations, and a solid future. I have seen how the lack of a strong foundation in Jesus Christ weakens a family, and weakens opportunities for children as they grow. Just the other day we talked to this girl that had a pretty rough appearance - scantily dressed, facial piercings, smoke stained teeth, and on the way to her boyfriends house to go out (presumably to a bar) to sing karaoke. Maybe not too un-normal (according to the world's standards) until we found out she was 12. I really had a hard time believing this, and even more so when I thought about my own little sister Merideth who is the same age. My heart aches for this poor girl that has no idea who she is or what her purpose is on this life. I couldn't help but wonder where her parents are, or what they are (or are not) teaching her. I know that the counsel we have received from our leaders to teach our children about faith, the plan of salvation, and how to recognize the promptings of the Spirit are things that Heavenly Father wants His children to know, and I just pray that more parents will listen and follow this crucial advice.

It honestly surprised me that as a missionary so many of my thoughts during conference were on families, the family that I will someday have, and the responsibility I have as a woman to be a mother and raise righteous children. What an incredible duty this is, and right now I am preparing for this calling by teaching other children these same principles - all of God's children in Tempe, AZ.

I am grateful for my parents for teaching me true principles in my youth, and I hope to someday have the opportunity to build on this and help the future generation be even stronger. I urge all of you to accept this sacred responsibility as parents, relatives, teachers, friends, and mentors to teach youth that they are children of God, and they have incredible physical and spiritual potential. I add my testimony to the witness of the apostles of the importance of raising our children in righteousness - we have a duty to nurture and love them, help them understand who they are, and give them a chance to succeed in the future. Use the scriptures, the words from conference this weekend, and whatever resources you have to teach all of God's children true principles that will offer them happiness in this life, and eternal bliss as a "forever family".

Much love,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

1 comment:

  1. Richelle, Besides bearing and raising that eternal family which is the best of life, your mission experience will be one of the most powerful events in your life. You were saved to do this and do it well. No regrets. You never want to look back and say I wish I had done better. Do it today the best you have to give and Heavenly Father will bless you every day for the rest of your life. I think women are a little more keen on all the benifits, but there will be many. Keep up the good work. We love you very much. Sister B

    ReplyDelete