Thursday, April 22, 2010

And Nothing Shall Offend Them

Another week gone by ridiculously fast. I've been thinking about what I am going to write today, and I have honestly had a hard time coming up with something. I guess I'll just tell you what's been on my mind...

On Friday
we tracted into a man, Domingo, who had been taking discussions with the missionaries and attending Church for a long time... almost 2 years I think. He finally made the decision to be baptized, but at church a week before his baptism someone made a comment to him that offended him and he decided not to be baptized, and has never returned to church. This situation was sooo sad to me for two reasons: 1) Because Domingo is missing out on A LOT of blessings from his Heavenly Father because he is not willing to forget what someone said to him that was more than likely just some kind of miscommunication. He will not accept that no one is perfect (including members of the Church), and is letting this unfortunate experience ruin his chance to receive the blessings of participating fully in the gospel, which IS perfect. AND 2) It has been really frustrating seeing members with negative attitudes, or that are so quick to judge situations or people without really understanding their circumstances.

A few other (frustrating) situations this week (I'll avoid being too negative by not going into detail) have made me think a lot about this and I want to offer advice to people on both sides of the offense.

To the offended (most of us at some point in our life): First of all, whatever caused you to feel the way you are feeling was probably said or done unintentionally, and is really a miscommunication. Second, the feelings you are having are ABSOLUTELY un-Christlike and by not offering forgiveness you are denying the power of the Atonement, which is a sin. And finally (most importantly), if you are not going to Church or participating fully in the gospel because someone/thing offended you, you have cut yourself off from the blessings of the sacrament, Priesthood, temples, etc. and are REALLY missing out on lots of blessings, and lots of joy. (See Elder Bednar's October 2006 General Conference talk, "And Nothing Shall Offend Them", Ensign, Nov. 2006, p. 89-92)

To those who offend (i.e., everyone, at one point or another, whether you realize it or not!): You have the same responsibility to seek forgiveness and to be at peace with all of God's children. Sometimes this requires lots of humility, but is absolutely necessary, and absolutely worth it in the end. If you are a member of the Church you have covenanted to comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and mourn with those that mourn.... that's everyone, including those you may have offended. It is not your place to judge, and you probably are missing the big picture, so look for the good in everyone, and go out of your way to recognize it in them - in private, and in public. People are people, and we are ALL God's children.

Hopefully someday Domingo will come around and realize that the blessings of the gospel completely outweigh the feelings of pride and grudge that he is dealing with. I pray that any of you who may be suffering from the same issue will make it a matter of prayer and take your feelings to Heavenly Father and ask Him to help you overcome the situation.

I know it will not be easy, but I bear my testimony that no matter how imperfect we are as humans, the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is 100% perfect, and Heavenly Father is always there waiting for his children to participate and receive the blessings He has to offer us.

This post is a little more bold, and less general that what I usually have to say, so I apologize if it doesn't apply to everyone, but I really felt like someone needed to hear something I have been thinking about. Even if that's not true, there is always something we can change in ourselves to become more like our Savior and Exemplar, Jesus Christ. These same things I have been challenging you for the past 5-ish months I have been working on myself, and I have seen how the changes I have made have blessed my life. Thank you all for your love and support!

God Bless,

Hermana Richelle Ouellette

No comments:

Post a Comment